Ponderings on "Why Work?" - Number 2

It is always strange and painful to have to change a habit of mind..
- Dorothy Sayers

Sayers asks "what is the Christin understanding of work?" and then follows with propositions arising from her doctrinal position: work is the natural exercise and function of man - the creature who is made in the image of his Creator.

That position mostly alludes me and when I happen upon it, and really start pondering it, like now...my thoughts run from "huh? to why don't I hear more about this, to...well Smitty...it's throughout the scripture. Pay attention."

Sometimes I get that far, mostly it continues to allude me, or me it.


During the past year I've been helping out from time-to-time at HCBC's Austin Job Seekers Network. Craig Foster runs an incredible program for 100 or so white collared (mostly), career minded men and women that come through there each week. Many, or most, have had there lives turned upside down by a sudden loss of job. Others have been in a constant turmoil of job changes their entire life.

We've all personally experienced, or had close family or friends, who've been without work, savings eroded, career path halted and seeming to end. It's tough, it brings about some strange thoughts and struggles and I don't wish it on anyone. Proverbs 25:2 says The glory of God conceals matters; the glory of kings is to search matters out.

The loss of a job, career and income can cause struggles that are difficult to search out.

Yet, so can any job, at any time. Many reading this are in jobs, and struggling. Why?

Work is a tough subject, a tough task and most want to embrace, tackle or run from it based upon its enjoyment and/or monetary fruits.

I pray that I ponder, dwell, at least THINK a bit more today on work being my natural function and how I'm made in the image of God, my Creator.

To that end....



4 comments:

Steve Heston said...

Too much of secular life suggests that we disconnect matters of faith and career. It is both exhausting and disingenuous (gee, I hope I spelled that correctly...) to try to love separate lives, especially since our work matters to God, and especially since our commitment to our Brothers and Sisters filters through all aspects of our life. Thought provoking and compelling stuff, Danny!

Steve Heston said...

I meant, of course, LIVE separate lives....but then, maybe I didn't....

Unknown said...

Danny, thank you for spending the time to think out loud....or rather in writing.
This reminds me of one of my favorite quotes, "The glory of God is man fully alive." If you believe that, then you have to ask, "What makes me fully alive?" Chances are when we begin to examine those moments in our lives where we have "come alive" we can begin to put the pieces together that begin to show us the vocation we should really be pursuing. The follow up question to "What makes me come alive?" then must be, "What's more important, to be 'alive' in the workplace or to land the highest paid job out there?" It doesn't necessarily have to be one or the other, but if your priority is to be "alive" in the workplace you will be drawn and involved in work that matters and the income will follow.
As always, I love the way you think Danny!!

DannyLSmith said...

Thanks Steve, very thought provoking ".....commitment to our Brothers and Sister filters through all aspects of our lives."

And John, we're to ponder "Why Work?" and you ask "What makes me fully alive?"

That's good. Really good.

Good stuff guys.