Success. Where's its place?

Can success and a Godly life truly be reconciled?
Absolutely - Charles Stanley


What does God say about success? Is it a contradiction to live a Godly life and pursue success? Many people think so. And that's just wrong.

I don't believe it's a coincidence that I've been attracted the past few weeks to books that include matters on this subject. This morning I had the thought "what do I think about being successful?"

A re-work of Lunch 'n Learn materials and brought to mind the roadblock matter of "the fear of success."  I ask attendees in my Guerrilla Marketing workshops why people fear success and had never gotten a good answer, though many acknowledge it's existence and some admit it's impact on their life. You can see the realization in their eyes! But, for a long time I'd never been able to really identify a cause of the problem (I hadn't really considered at the time I encountered the roadblock).

Until one participant answered "It's a Biblical thing. We've been wrongly taught things like 'a rich man can't get into Heaven' and that's subconsciously sabotaging us."

It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for
someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.
- Mark 10: 25

Wrongly understanding that verse and one can/will subconsciously sabotage their success. And Satan wins.

I'm seriously afraid I have a problem with success, subconsciously. Subconsciously I believe I struggle with some things Biblically about God's will in my life. I don't have a good grip on the problem, but I'm coming to realize how real it is and expect I'll uncover others also.

God made us in His image. He was successful. I want to understand and accept a truthful definition of success. This is where I'll drop anchor, search out, pray, ponder and write about here for a few weeks.

Let me know what you think of success. Let me know what you think of what I find out, my thoughts about success. I know they haven't been near accurate up until now.

To that end....Lord prepare my heart to receive Your word, THE true word about success. Help me practice Your will.

No comments: