Ponderings on "Why Work?"

We might be well-served to remember the ancient Hebrew word "avodah;" the Old Testament translates it three different ways - to work, to worship and to serve.
- David W. Miller 

Why work?

In some form or fashion I assume everyone asks himself this question. While in high school (40+) years ago(!) I remember a teacher, Mr. Casper, asking the question "if you were wealthy and didn't have to work, would you?"

My answer was "absolutely!" Johnny Snead snickered and said "no way."

All these years later, I don't know what made Mr. Casper ask this question but I can only assume he wasn't just wanting to plant the subject into his students' thoughts, but was pondering the question himself. Johnny? Well, he was much closer to reality than me.

Why Work? is the title to a small book Dorothy Sayers (1893-1957) wrote in 1947. Some would say Ms. Sayers, crime writer, poet, playwright and Christian humanist, was "ahead of her time." Without debating that right now, I will give in and say her style and thoughts resonated with many during her lifetime and many theology of work writers (Doug Sherman, R. Paul Stevens, David Miller, Os Guinness, etc) since. Resonates with me too.

This is the first in at least 12 posts where I'll be pondering the subject and Ms. Sayers writings on that question....Why Work?

Why work? What's the purpose of work? Should one ever stop working? Where's the balance to working your tail off, but depending upon God?

Augustine reportedly said work like it depends upon you and pray like it depends upon God.

I say "huh?, really?, work like it depends upon me?" Is that right, or is it pray AND work like it depends on God.

To that end....let's see what Dorothy has to say about this subject of Why Work? and the path these ponderings take.

PS...thanks to the Britt Harris and The Austin Christian Business Summit for the copy of Dorothy Sayers' Why Work?

5 comments:

Dave Moore said...

I just finished Work Matters by Tom Nelson. It is a good primer for those just learning about a theology of work.

The essay you mention by Sayers and the book, The Call, by Os Guinness, are still my favorites.

Patrick Whalen said...

I like to eat, therefore I work :)

"For even when we were with you, we would give you this command: If anyone is not willing to work, let him not eat. For we hear that some among you walk in idleness, not busy at work, but busybodies. Now such persons we command and encourage in the Lord Jesus Christ to do their work quietly and to earn their own living. (2 Thessalonians 3:10-12 ESV)

Anonymous said...

Thanks Danny. Gotta admit, I’ve always been more of a “Johnny Snead type” when it comes to working if I didn’t have to. It’s probably part of the belief that work was part of the curse - but that’s not really true. Toil in work was the curse, not the work itself. Adam was always going to live off the fruit of the ground, which meant he’d have to take care of the plants and pick the fruit. The only thing that changed was that the earth wasn’t going to be as cooperative.

Maybe the key is finding work that you enjoy, doing it with the realization that it’s going to be unnecessarily hard sometimes, and then appreciating the fruit which is all just a gift from God anyway. At least that’s what works for me…

Thanks for sharing.

Randy

DannyLSmith said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
DannyLSmith said...

Thanks for posts Randy, Patrick and Dave. I look forward to hearing more about what you have to say on this subject.

Patrick...I like your blog.

Blessings all.